Sunday, July 17, 2016

Injured Training: July 2016

On July 3rd, I blew most of the skin off my right hand with fireworks. Guess what, lifting weights and second degree burns don't really get along. Who fucking knew?

With the exception of herniating a disc in my back, I've never stopped lifting because of an injury (even then, I only took a few weeks off), and this time is no different. I really just needed to see what movements are in and which movements are out until my hand is better.

OUT
1. Rack pulls and shrugs
Any heavy pressure on my hand causes blood to well and splash out of the open burns (no fooling...I bled all over the bar). Although I can still hit ~600 rack pulls, the pressure is pretty unbearable to the point where volume is more a test of pain than it is training. Although I'm doing shrugs a bit lighter (425-500#), the bottom of each rep also hurts something wicked.

2. Sumo deadlifts
Same reason as rack pulls and shrugs. However, I may be taking an indefinite hiatus from heavy deadlifting. Before I got injured I was working up my 10 rep max on these, and actually hit my first long term goal of 405x10. The size increases that went along with this was pretty awesome, but the price I had to pay with the rest of my training isn't really worth it. I've found I get better size in my traps and better strength gains to my squat if I stick with Olympic variations instead of heavier deadlifts. I'm not a powerlifter...so fuck it.

IN
Other than that...it's pretty much business as per usual. I'm revisiting an old Hepburn routine for everything except my Oly lifts (which I go for a PR on every time I'm in the gym) with some added assistance for my weak points.

As a side note...I prefer floor press over bench press for a few reasons.
- I fucking hate asking a random for a spot
- I've yet to find a bench grip or width that's easy on my shoulders
- Bracing against the ground with a flat back feels WAY better than bracing my feet/hips against the ground

Front Squat 5x2-3, 3x6-8+
- ~2min rest in between sets
- Add one rep for the power and pump sets each workout. Increase weight when you hit 5x3 or 3x8
Overhead Press 5x2-3, 3x6-8+
- ~1min rest in between sets
- Add one rep for the power and pump sets each workout. Increase weight when you hit 5x3 or 3x8
- super set with weighted ab wheel rollouts
Assistance work
- Handstand pushups
- Lateral raises (drop set until failure. bent over, partial range of motion to avoid trap activation)

Powerclean or Snatch High Pull 1x5, 5x3-5
- ~1min rest in between sets
- increase the weight when you hit the max reps indicated
Floor Press 5x2-3, 3x6-8+
- ~1min rest in between sets
- Add one rep for the power and pump sets each workout. Increase weight when you hit 5x3 or 3x8
- super set with weighted chinups (same rep/set scheme)
Romanian Deadlift 1x10, 350 method
- ~2min rest in between sets
- the 350 method refers to completing 50 reps in 3 sets (i.e. you would hit your top set of 1x10, then the next sets would strive to hit 50 reps between the sum of all reps completed in the final 3 sets)
- super set with hammer curls (1x10 of cheat reps, 3x10)

No comments:

Post a Comment