Thursday, April 7, 2022

mentally batching reps for higher rep sets

Tldr 
Change your mindset with higher rep sets.

This is not a 'i discovered this thing. Noone else has ever done this before hisssssssss.' Nah brah. This is a I discovered this thing for myself that helped me slog through the nightmare that is higher rep squats.

Early on in my lifting life, I almost exclusively did sets of 3, 2, and 1. This wasn't entirely a bad thing either. I got close to the peaks of my strength with this strategy, but I ultimately got stronger (raised my strength floor) by way of medium rep back off sets. At my strongest, I was striving for new PRs in the 10rm range. Could I hit a better 1RM when I specialized in higher reps? Hell no, but I wasn't trying to. The entire idea was to get stronger via slowly increasing strength in medium to higher rep ranges. Not surprisingly, I mistook trying Bulgarian light as a method for moving my top end strength. Foolish. All that was happening was I peaked the strength I had spent years building. But I digress.

Higher reps suck. And they are awful. And they suck. There is a special hell with higher rep squatting because you can technically rest your legs (at the expense of your back stamina) and pump out more reps. The super squats program relies entirely on this fact with the use of breathing squats. What I found is a way to make higher rep squats suck slightly less without cheating the goal.

My rep goal right meow is 15. That looks a lot like 5 triples to me! Triples are easy and I love them. Instead of saying I'm on rep 13 Jesus please save me everything is awful, I can say I'm ony last triple. I can do a triple no problem. 


No comments:

Post a Comment