Saturday, August 26, 2023

more ramblings on a carry based program

To review, my program consists of a few things:
- daily easy strength: dips and chinups.
- daily stretching and mobility.
- 3x week sandbag carries, squats, cleans, and throws.
- 1x week Nordic curls (bb rep ranges), keg carries.

I don't want to undersell how much I love this format. Program ADD is handled by the fact that the main movements have no defined weight. For kegs and sandbags it's just: move it a few times if it's heavy and a lot of times if it's light. Move as fast as possible during carries and never carry the same way twice. My back feels GREAT in a way that kind of surprised me. I'm not expecting to get huge off of this type of training in most body parts (looking at you shoulders, legs, and arms) but my erectors are going to be fuckin columns of steel. Very batman results. 

I'm feeling almost 0 overall fatigue and I can feel my conditioning get better week by week. Hell man, last week post cleans my entire back and traps felt like someone had smashed them with tiny hammers. This week I went harder and my back barely noticed. 

The absolute best part of this is getting 'used' to a weight while still making progress. I can sum up progressive overload like:
- go for more sets in the same amount of time
- add more reps between carries.
- consciously move faster during carries. You should be trying to move at a dead run.
- every 2-4 weeks add a little water (keg) and sand (bags).


No comments:

Post a Comment