Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Mini Workouts: high frequency and low time

I accidentally had two great workouts yesterday. In both instances, I was low on time and had a specific goal. In both instances I walked away feeling better than I started. In other news, I had the best night sleep I've had in weeks. IM SURE ITS UNRELATED.

Striking while the iron is hot on this concept. I've been gravitating away from longer (60+min) workouts for a while now. Partly because I've got things to do with my wife, friends, and job. But mostly because I just don't have the patience anymore. What can I do in 60min that I can't do in 20min? When I keep my workouts shorter but more frequent, I can scratch the conditioning itch I have multiple times a day without burying myself in fatigue. Some ideas below.

The only consistent variable (with a notable exception) is working to failure. It's ravenholm, and we don't go to ravenholm. Your notable go to ravenholm exception is for small body parts (neck, calves, tib, forearms). Go nuts on that shit.

Strength 
(1)easy strength workout. This is the base.
(2)one movement. Work up to a rep max (5-10). 

Bodyweight, kettlebells, sandbags 
(1)Juarez valley method.
(2)Dan John ladders (1,2,3 / 2,3,5 / 2,3,5,10).
(3)Downs.
(4)Straight set circuits.

Notes: 
- bodyweight only: Progress the movement if you can bang out too many reps.
- choose 2 movements from one or multiple implements, set a timer for 10-20min and go to town.
- all method top sets are NOT using your max possible reps. You should avoid hitting a set you can't complete or need multiple attempts.
- movement VARIETY is your friend. This is not a programmed section, this is candy land. If you keep rolling the dice you will get to what you want regardless of the stops on the way.

Carry implements: farmers, swing straps, leg
(1)distance and weight vary 

Small body parts
1-2 sets to failure. Use drop sets, rest pause, whatever. Think outside of the box! There are tons of angles you can use for forearms and the neck. Calves and ribs are a little more streamlined.

Stretching and Mobility
Didn't think this would be here eh? Well fuck you Elmo this is the coda to this story. There are a billion outlets to get you started. Do what you can and do it consistently.

I fully allocate my good nights sleep to stretching before bed. I did not go to bed tight and in pain and WEIRD I slept better.




No comments:

Post a Comment