Monday, May 27, 2013

Training: Last month and this month

1. Last Month
Last month I dabbled in The Hepburn Method (one of the routines used by Doug Hepburn, Canadian strongman and weightlifter).


Don't hate. You should look so good in spandex.



























Monday/Thursday
Squat 8x2
- 80% 1RM
- Rest 2min between sets
Rest 5min
Squat 3x6
- 60% 1RM
- Rest 2min between sets
Bench Press 8x2
- 80% 1RM
- Rest 2min between sets
Rest 5min
Bench Press 3x6
- 60% 1RM
- Rest 2min between sets

Tuesday/Friday
Deadlift 80% 1RM 8x2, rest 2min between sets
Rest 5min
Deadlift 60% 1RM 3x6, rest 2min between sets
Overhead Press 80% 1RM 8x2, rest 2min between sets
Rest 5min
Overhead Press 60% 1RM 3x6, rest 2min between sets

For the entire month, add no weight to the bar. Instead, you will add a single rep every workout to both the 80% and 60% sets.

Example:
Monday 1
Squat 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2
Squat 6,6,6
Bench 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2
Bench 6,6,6

Thursday 1
Squat 3,2,2,2,2,2,2,2
Squat 7,6,6
Bench 3,2,2,2,2,2,2,2
Bench 7,6,6

Monday 2
Squat 3,3,2,2,2,2,2,2
Squat 7,7,6
Bench 3,3,2,2,2,2,2,2
Bench 7,7,6

Thursday 2
Squat 3,3,3,2,2,2,2,2
Squat 7,7,7
Bench 3,3,3,2,2,2,2,2
Bench 7,7,7

Continue in this fashion every workout until your volume reaches 8x3 for the 80% sets and 3x8 for the 60% sets. After this workout, increase every lift by 5-10lbs and restart the cycle at 8x2 and 3x6.

i.e.
Squat 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3
Squat 8,8,8
Bench 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3
Bench 8,8,8

Results from last month:
Every workout was challenging without experiencing a single grinder. I found that the bar speed increased on all major lifts even as I increased the volume. While I feel that the weights I used for this month became my bitch, anything heavier still feels like a foreign challenge. Also, my ability to safely do reps on the squat after low rep work is abysmal (my knees sometimes hurt for days). I hurt my neck overhead pressing in week 3, but that is hardly the program's fault.

The largest benefit I see here is that the Hepburn method allows a lifter to make continual (although, mechanical) progress while minimizing the number of shitty workouts. While this may seem minor, I was able to complete each workout even on days where I was undernourished or had poor sleep. So, if slow and steady is your style, you may want to check this routine out (Google: Doug Hepburn method for other routines by the same name).


2. This Month
My main driver for change is based on both the logical and the superficial...

Ze logical: Injuring my neck sucked fucking ass. This is the 4th (count'em 4) time I have injured my neck overhead pressing. Every time it happens, I take a break from that particular lift, try to learn what I did wrong, then attempt again with a renewed sense of self. Then, BOOM, headshot. As much as I love crawling out of bed (makes me feel like a low HP Snake Plissken) and counting the hours before the nearest Urgent Care opens, I'm done with this crap. The incline bench press supposedly (I have 0 experience with this lift) has a large carryover to the overhead press, fast overhead lifts, and bench press. This month will hopefully tell whether there is any validity to that claim.

Ze Superficial: I love olympic lift variations, chinups, and dips. There is nothing wrong with Hepburn's lift choices, but I am not competing in anything in the near future. So, fuck it, I do what I want.

Monday
Chinup
- Work up to a max rep weighted set for the day
- When the number of reps/set for the max set drops below 5, reset at a new 10RM
Powerclean or High Pull
- Either one, it doesn't really matter
- Put 30 minutes on the clock. If you can complete 18 singles in this time period, up the weight by 10lbs.
- Backoff sets of 3x6

Wednesday
Dips 8x2
- Work up to a max rep weighted set for the day
- When the number of reps/set for the max set drops below 5, reset at a new 10RM
Back Squat
- Put 30 minutes on the clock. If you can complete 18 singles in this time period, up the weight by 10lbs.
- Backoff sets of 3x6
Dip Supports
- Strap as much weight around my waist as possible
- Hold at extension for 20s-60s

Friday
Sumo Deadlift/Power Shrugs
- Put 30 minutes on the clock. If you can complete 18 singles in this time period, up the weight by 10lbs.
- Backoff sets of 3x6.
Seated Rows 3x9-12

Sunday
Partial Squats
- 1/4 squats off of pins
- Each rep is held for a count of 2
- Work up to a max triple
- 85%-90% of the max triple 8x3, 1min rest between sets
Behind the Neck Push Press
- Put 30 minutes on the clock. If you can complete 18 singles in this time period, up the weight by 10lbs.
- Backoff sets of 3x6..

No comments:

Post a Comment