Wednesday, December 31, 2014

DragonCon 2015: Current Costume Plans

As per usual, my DragonCon 2015 plans started brewing in the bowels of DragonCon 2014.

Solo Costume: Frieza Final Transformation 100%
Group Size: 1, duh
Idea: This costume has been on my mind for the past 2 years. I still have many kinks to work out on the design, but the costume has otherwise already been started. My biggest concern is that the tail insertion point (i.e. via white compression shorts) will look silly as hell.

Frieza Cosplayers I Admire


















My Ideal Frieza
If I could bottle everything I wanted to emulate in a Frieza cosplay...





















Frieza Element 1: Bodybuilding 
Frieza's final form has some bulk to him. A few of my body parts are already good to go (neck, traps, lats, erectors, glutes, hamstrings, quads), but I have some major weaknesses that need to be addressed prior to this costume's debut.

Bodybuilding Weakness 1: I have Hodor bodyfat levels
For as long as I've been lifting, I can't ever say I've been lean (at best, I've hit 12% body fat). To hit my goal, I will not need to have bodybuilding stage ready bodyfat levels, but I should at least be able to see abs without flexing (as I do now). Cleaning up my diet (especially for off days) and increasing my cardio will be key here.

Bodybuilding Weakness 2: Shoulders, Chest, and Triceps
Along with chest, my shoulders and arms are among my weakest body parts. No surprise here really...I junked the barbell overhead press after injuring my neck for the 6th time (not hyperbole). Barbell bench press and dips were next to go after my left shoulder went tits up a month ago.

In the meantime, incline dumbbell bench press and machine work are serviceable options. I have no experience with these items, so this is really a 'do what you can' scenario for the time being. My biceps are taken care of via my heavy pulling work (Deadlifts, High Pulls), chin-ups, power curls, and hammer curls.

Frieza Element 2: Props
Tail
- Create a continuous skeleton chain via robotic connectors (Igus Energy Chains)
- Stretch skeletal muscle over the energy chain using gym pit foam (Pit Foam)
- Carve the skeletal muscle to the desired tail slope
- Coat the entire tail in an off white polymer for the skin (0 idea what to do here)
Tail Insertion
- Connect the tail through white spandex compression shorts
- Attach an adjustable harness for my waist
Feet
- Use expanding foam (i.e. Great Stuff) around cheap Kroc shoes to get a general foot shape
- Carve down the mold to the size/shape I need
- Color dat bitch
Purple Body Molds
- Right now, the plan is to create lifecasted latex molds of my shoulders, chest, and head
- The lifecasted pieces will be used to create final purple body molds
Calf and Forearm Bracers
- No idea...

Frieza Element 3: Makeup
This is completely beyond my expertise. My friend Mollie (blog: Glamor Cast) has offered to coat my body with the off-white it needs for Frieza.


Group Costume: Chickens (Zelda)
Group Size: As many as possible
Idea: There are always a wealth of Link (Legend of Zelda) cosplayers walking around the halls of DragonCon. My idea is to have a group of chickens slowly surround him from all directions. By the time Link sees two(2) giant chickens block his path, there are already 15 behind him. Then, gobble gobble kill kill.

Bonus: 
Have a camera running while each group of chickens hunt, stalk, and kill each Link cosplayer. Set the video to Smash Mouth's rendition of 'Why Can't We Be Friends.'

Bonus 2: 
Carry a picture of my chicken parents being hit by Link. Show it to him before all of the chickens pounce.

Like this. Only 20 of us, and a pool of blood big enough to drown a horse.

















Group Costume: Team America, World Police

Group Size: 5-10
Idea: Get a group of people to dress up like Matt Stone and Trey Parker's 'Team America.' Possible inclusions are terrorists (glue my chest hair onto my face), Kim Jong Il, and Michael Moore.

America. Fuck ya!















Group Costume: The Skyrim Experience
Group Size: ~5
Idea: Provide a first person Skyrim experience to anyone walking around DragonCon. Other people in the group will act as signs or random encounter enemies.
- Cardboard/Foam panel with title 'the skyrim experience'
- Velcro attachments with spells and weapons (the user can grab them at any time)
- GoPro attached to the top (films arms and things outside of the panel)
- Other people participate by holding up signs for pickpocking, sneaking, Detected, Run Bitch Run!
- People/Bears/Dragons attack them
- At the end of DragonCon, edit the GoPro footage into a completed video



It's like I'm really there...

No comments:

Post a Comment