Saturday, January 8, 2011

Level Up Two Steps at a Time

I have been doing heavy single lifts after my usual 5/3/1 workout in an attempt to push up my 1RM. For weeks, I have been hitting 3 solid squat singles at 300, but have yet to re-hit my all time best of 305 for 1.

What happened here? The next step up from 300 to 305 is only about a 1% increase in weight, and yet it feels like a mountain has been added to my back. I remember I used to feel the same way about 300, until one random day I hit 305. All of a sudden, 300 wasn't shit anymore. Once you have climbed up to a new pedestal, everything underneath is cake.

I've found that this has applied to more than just strength training in my life. While playing trumpet, I would always practice to hit a note higher than the one I needed to play live. If I only struggled to hit the note I needed to play, I would only be reinforcing the wall set at that note (not to mention it would sound like used shit).

It's clear what I need to do. I don't need to 'make it' to 305, I need to fuck up 310. The rest is downhill.

Slow and steady wins the race, but the hare fucks the prom queen. Get stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment