Sunday, August 25, 2024

endurance: how I learned to toss the barbell

Starting out strong, there is nothing wrong with barbells. I've gotten a metric fuckton out of them for years and this is not goodbye.

Barbells, however, are not the ideal tool for the goal I set at the beginning of this year then proceeded to totally ignore. My goal were to get lean and build stupid endurance in the process. This is also related to the thought experiment I go through one a day - if I had to rebuild myself from the ground up how would I do it - if I had to be quiet while working out how would I do it - etc etc. also relevant is my nerves have been FRIED lifting to failure a few times a week. I am absolutely making steady progress week over week and physically I'm up for it, but I'd rather just feel good than look good. Weird that.

This has bubbled up into an approach to pilot. 

Tldr

AM - calisthenics circuits
Skill press, skill pull, spine/abs, press, pull, legs
Juarez valley, straight sets, downs, clusters 
Put 30min on the clock and get as many clean circuits as possible
Start with 5s, add a rep a week. Decrease regressions after 5 weeks and rebuild.

PM - sandbags, maces, clubs, and kettlebells 
Light day: maces/clubs/stretching
Heavy day:
- explosive 
- lower 
- upper
- mace/club
Put 30min on the clock and GO.

Deload happen when they happen.
Fasting used as a tool.
You should not reach failure during any set! That's not the point.

AM work is for building an engine.
PM work is to build brute strength.

'skill' versions of calisthenics work means unstable variations (rings) or power variations (plyo, muscle up). 

Regular calisthenics work means stable. Stable can use more complex variations (ex: pseudo planche pushup, l sit dip) as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment