Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Greasing the Groove: Slowly accumulate volume

Grease the groove summary:
- Do not lift until failure
- Do not amp yourself up for a set
- Accumulate volume over time without building lactic acid or fatigue

I've only been playing around this with this method for a few weeks, but I'm definitely a fan.Since I quit the gym, my workouts have generally stuck in three(3) categories:
- Quick and the dead | Pavel meets pushups and swings
- Suitcase carries | Walk around the neighborhood with a single kettlebell
- Greasing the groove

The last item deserves some explanation. Searching online leads me to a lot of structured ideas. Every idea has a different idea on frequency (1 set every hour, do a bunch of tiny sets throughout a workout, etc) but they all agree on the same modality: do not lift until failure. Or do a little bit every so often. The way I'm able to do this working from home is by cleaning and pressing the same kettlebell whenever I want a quick break. How many reps I get per arm per set really doesn't matter. How often I actually do this doesn't matter. It's practice. Specifically, practicing with clean, fast reps.

Unlike something like reverse pyramid training, my goal is not to get X reps before I level up in weight. My goal is to be able to easily get X reps on average every time I pick up the bell. Although I focus on speed and form, I'm not amping myself up for any set. I'll gladly stop 1 or several reps short of failure. The weird shit is that it's working, and it's working really well.

Week 1 avg reps Kettlebell OHP: 2-3
Week 2 avg reps Kettlebell OHP: 3-5
Week 3 avg reps Kettlebell OHP: 4-7

This is without straining or counting reps/sets. I'm looking forward do getting sets of 10 to 20. Were the volume comes so easily that it only makes sense to get a heavier bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment