Friday, September 23, 2016

High Frequency Training Day1

High frequency weight training usually comes out in articles holding hands with promises of increased muscle mass and strength from rapid nervous adaptations. I.e. you practice thing, you get better at thing, profit.

I've flirted with the idea of high frequency training for years. Every time I come close, the idea of super low volume scares me away. That being said, I owe it to myself to give it a go. My training right now is going well, but it's draining as all hell. I wish I could train more often, but I know that lifting with my current strategy 3 days in a row kills me. I am full of butts.

Today I started driving into high frequency training modeled after Eric Bugenhagen ' s approach. It goes like:
- train 1-3 movements every day (Eric states less is better)
- 1 to 2 working sets per movement. Preferably hit a max single and call it a day
- when you hit a plateau (1-3 weeks), switch the flat lined movement for something similar

Absolute worst case scenario, I know I can get myself into the shape I want for next year's Dragoncon in 2-3 months. If there was ever a time to experiment with something new, this is it.

Today's training Front Squat 280x1
Overhead Press 165x1
TBar row 3 plates x 20

Thoughts
Easy all around, but it's just day 1. My energy before and after is very high (very different than I usually feel post workout). Squatting and pressing was easy even though I did the same thing in higner volume yesterday.

The entire session took 30 minutes. I used the next 20 minutes to stretch (something I rarely do for that long).

No comments:

Post a Comment