Sunday, October 21, 2018

Top 5 live shows

My buddy Josh and i periodically have this conversation, as its always a moving target. Top 5 live music shows and why. 123go.

5. The Revivalists
Age: 28
Company: a bunch of dudes who would become my best friends

Venue: some shitty bar in St Petersburg
I walked into this show blind (kind of a recurring theme) with a bunch of dudes i barely knew. The Revivalists start poorly, they always do, but 10min in i was hooked. I was floored by their folky new orleans jazz. Im not sure whether it was the shitty bar or vaguely empty crowd, but the band took risks i have never seen them take since (including a not so entirely friendly guitar vs slide guitar battle).

Ive since seen the revivialists at least 20 times. Theyre always amazing, but ill be damned if im not chasing the dragon of that first night.

4. Caribou
Age: 30
Company: solo
Venue: Bonnarroo 2015, Other stage

Not too much to say here. I feel like i dreamt the set to be honest. I broke away from my crew to see a band i once saw in my early 20s (like number 5, in a shit bar).

They are good on their album, bur great live. I would see them again in a heartbeat.

3. LCD Soundsystem
Age: 31
Company: the entire tribe calles fest roster
Venue: Bonnarroo 2016, What stage

There were 5 years building up to this set. I neglected to see LCDs last show in 2011 under the guise of saving money (i had just seen them in 2010, it felt excessive at the time). Years of regret were shed off at once.

2. The Flaming Lips
Age: 23
Company: nick 'the yellow dart' Hoffpauer
Venue: the echo project festival

This was my first real music festival. Nick won tickets and took me as his plus 1. I really owe him a lot for this experience.

As we drove in, i panic ate pot brownies thinking security would care. I came up hard as The Flaming Lips started, and the lead singer rolled into the crowd in a giant hamster ball. The concert started with a gust of confetti blasted into the crowd, and my heart soared. If you have not experienced these men live, get on it. The vibe is 'its everybodys birthday.'

'Yeah yeah yeah yeah' both started and ended with a slow acoustic sing along 'with all of your power, what would you do' in a show of emotion i have not seen replicated since.

1. Peelander-Z
Age: 25
Company: bunch of frat bros
Venue: the drunken unicorn, atlanta
Lets get this out of the way. Peelander-Z has terrible music. They are awful. I am embaressed to have their CD in my car, and pray no one asks what the heck is this bright yellow thing (proceed to turn on 'ninja high school' before i can stop them).

Yet i would bring anyone to one of their shows. It is not a musical event, it is a bizarre experience that happens to have music.

During their show you will see:
- aggressive punk rock by people dressed like power rangers
- if there are obstacles to be jumped from or ceilings low enough to hang from, some pretty stupid stunts that can end badly really fast
- human bowling
- the band relocating their instruments to the center of the room to jam out
- the band handing their instruments to randoms in the crowd so they can fuck off and force the entire audience to limbo

Peelander-z demands your interaction and your love. Even the hardest heart will sound like a neckbeard otaku by the nights end.

I only ask this. Do not look them up. Do not listen to their music. Do not watch their music videos. Just go.

They are fun, unpredictable, and sparsely play. Subsequent concerts are always fun, but your first is going to be your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment